Hazon Seal Webinar: A Yummy Compassionate Chanukah
Kindly supported by the Jewish Initiative for Animals this webinar was a big success.
If you missed it, please take the time to view this recording.
Resources discussed on the webinar:
- Going Deep and Dark into the Custom to Eat Dairy on Hanukkah: Webinar source sheet by Rabbi Aryeh Bernstein
- Drunk on cheese? Making sense of an old Hanukkah tradition by Rabbi Aryeh Bernstein
- Use printer friendly resource to –
- Explore eight Crazy [delicious] plant-based Chanukah recipes (including Merav’s favorite vegan latkes!)
- Shop for better eggs, dairy, and meats with a simple and clear guide for “better” and “best” labels
- Find kosher plant-based alternatives
Things that came up in the chat:
- Carrot-lox anyone?
- Fair Trade Gelt through T’ruah
- Good Light Candles
- Dairy alternatives and their environmental footprint: As you can see from the graphs here and here, dairy has a much larger impact than all of the plant-based milks, but among plant-based milks, oat milk seems to have the smallest impact all around (emissions, land use, water use).
- Hazon’s guide to We Are the Weather; Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast.
Welcome to contact our friends at the Jewish Initiative for Animals directly, with any questions:
- Melissa Hoffman: melissah@farmforward.
Aryeh Bernstein: aryeh.bernstein@
Ilana Braverman: ilana@farmforward.
Additional resources can be found in our Chanukah Revisited resource, don’t miss it! (includes our 2019 Hazon Chanukah Greening Guide and a short discussion guide into the spiritual meaning of chanukah)