– Event took place May 2, 2021
– Event was a success; we collected 70+ pounds of garbage from the beach and we plan to have another this upcoming summer
Continue sharing monthly greening tips in the shul bulletin
– We provided tips in the bulletin Nov – March 2021
Additional Events of 2021:
– The Green Team assisted in sourcing local products/food items to include in the shul’s mishloach manot bags for ~200 members/families
“Pickle Time Higiya” Tu Bishvat Family/Education event
– We partnered with Skokie Valley Agudath Jacob’s Green Team in hosting a virtual event featuring then rabbinical student Hody Nemes who educated attendees on food waste, carbon footprint, and why our Jewish values teach us to care about sustainability. The event concluded with a demo by Hody on how to pickle vegetables at home.
Butterfly Garden (April-May 2021)
– A member of our shul bought plants ideal for butterflies and members of our Green Team assisted with weeding and planting.
“Composting with Kavod” Composting Education Event (2/22/21)
– A member of our Green Team, Benjamin Krumstok, who is an expert on waste diversion, facilitated a virtual education event on composting dos and don’ts and its importance in Judaism. Benjamin also shared local Chicago composting resources, and at least 2 attendees in that session started composting after the event.
– The shul sukka hosted 8 potluck meals for the Young Professionals group, with 20-40 people attending each meal.
– The Green Team provided compostable plates, napkins, and cutlery. These items, along with any food waste, were collected and composted.